Re: IMX Records

2004-01-13 17:49:08
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:43:59PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
| |
| | http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-laforet-deasey-imxrecords-00.txt
| |
|   3. MX Server Protocol
|
|     MX servers scattered throughout the Internet should change their
|     philosophy to not accept mail from any client unless the mail client
|     resolves as a mail exchanger or as a client internal to its own system.
|
|     [...]
|
|     The recipient system mail servers would adamantly refuse to accept mail
|     from any client that is not an MX.  The worst consequence is that Email
|     may be bounced by a non-compliant system.
|
| Those design elements might work against widespread adoption.

Personally I'd be very much in favour of the two-layer system hinted at
by that paper.  This is the new design I have in mind:

  MUA -> mails through SMTP server ("IMX") on port 587 using SASL auth

  IMX is SPF-approved for the domain, and can mail to any MX

  MX performs SPF checks, accepts the mail, saves to a mailstore

  mailstore serves the message to the user over IMAP/POP/mutt, etc

It's actually very similar to what we have today, except for the 587 and
SPF parts.