Re: MX and TXT

2004-01-14 11:56:12
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:03:33PM -0500, Marc Alaia wrote:

| Actually, Geoff, your example is a little off.  In the case you give above,
| when an MX is requested by a sending server, there is no need for SPF at
| that time.  On the receiving end, the SPF record is queried, but the
| sender's MX is not necessarily needed.  As an example, check out AOL's SPF
| record.  It contains only IP Addresses, so no further DNS queries are
| needed.  And in the case of my SPF record, you'd have to do an A lookup on
| gw.alaia.net.  Now, in the case of the DNS server sending the A record with
| the MX record, that is simply a convenience.  Yes, it would be nice if the
| DNS server could understand the SPF TXT record and send back any additional
| information needed, such as the MX record or A record, but that's a long way
| down the road....

As I am currently designing an authoritative-only DNS server, that sounds
like something it should have.  What I had thought of doing was faking an
SPF RR syntax, containing version number and string, and having it for now
just answer with TXT.  But adding on any referenced records would certainly
be a good idea.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |