Re: MX and TXT

2004-01-15 00:37:19
Geoff and I discussed this thread a bit offlist. I believe we both mostly agree with the following.

1. Name servers normally send additional records other than the ones requested, for example, NS requests get back NS +A, MX requests get back MX +A. These are called "Additional records" and the section of the reply is called "Additional Records section" or AR section. (I don't know if these AR responses are correctly called "glue" or if glue refers only to A records that extend into a subdomain defined with NS... I have heard "glue" used in both contexts).

2. It's possible to modify the servers to send back TXT additional records in response to an MX query, but modifying all servers out there to do this is hard... the additional records behavior is not part of the data or config, but hard-coded into the server for servers we know of. The benefit of adding TXT responses piggy-backed on an MX query is debateable, since MX records are looked up when sending and SPF data is needed when receiving.

3. A better idea (and this has probably already been thought of, so we're not claiming it's original) is to send back MX and A in response to an SPF query. That saves another lookup for folks using the MX and A methods. However, TXT is already hardcoded into various servers and changing the reply behavior.

4. Whenever an SPF data type becomes available, that would be a great time to set the AR behavior as well, so that while the server is being patched to support SPF queries it can send the appropriate additionals. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to always return MX and A records for the domain, and A records for those MX, but it's also possible for the DNS server to look at the SPF record and see if MX or A methods are used. As with any Additional Records in response, if there isn't enough room for them in the packet they can be dropped and the client can do a second lookup.