Re: MX and TXT

2004-01-11 23:09:45
Hi Wayne

I take your point about not breaking the paradigm.
But TXT records are easily returned by MX lookups.
So this is more like:

mx.example.com. A    10.9.8.7
                TXT "v=spf mx -all"

Try any dns client seeking an MX record
on 210.8.17.100 to see this. I know that MX lookups
don't usually return TXT records, but there is no reason
I suspect why they shouldn't, just as they usually return
NS and A records. This is of course a redundancy which
is intended to reduce lookups I take it. And the same
might go for the spf TXT record perhaps.

geoffj

Hi.

I'm not sure I quite understand your question.

Do mean that instead of having something like:

example.com.    MX   mx.example.com
example.com.    TXT  "v=spf mx -all"
mx.example.com. A    10.9.8.7

You would have something like:

example.com.    MX   mx.example.com  "v=spf mx -all"
mx.example.com. A    10.9.8.7

If so, the reason that this choice wasn't made was because such a
change would require eveyone to update all the DNS software on the
Internet.  The DNS system doesn't allow such extentions to existing
resource records.

-wayne

Servatricks Pty Ltd
Suite 406