MX and TXT

2004-01-11 22:02:02
Sorry to have joined six months too late, it seems!

Having reviewed the archives, it seems that the question
where in the DNS scheme to put the spf info was resolved
right at the beginning.
This makes sense, but I cannot make sense of the decision
to use a TXT record rather than add a TXT to the MX record.
It seems so much neater to keep all the email related dns
stuff in the MX record. We are after all just adding to MX
what should have been there from the start.

Can someone explain to me in brief why this result was reached?
I get the impression from the archives that MX was preferred,
at least early in the discussion.

Thanks

geoffj