RE: Advocacy: paypal scam

2004-01-16 07:34:50
There is a group forming of companies who see the worst effects of the
phishing problem.

The issue is not getting these people to authenticate, its getting the ISPs
to reject.

        Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Kaper [mailto:cap(_at_)capsi(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 2:36 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Advocacy: paypal scam

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:25:13PM -0800, Greg Connor wrote:
I decided to write to spoof(_at_)paypal(_dot_)com to report the
obvious forgery, and
also to let them know about SPF in the process...

Good call, paypal.com is indeed one of the domains that seem
to be forged
often, in fact so often that legitimate PayPal messages
resulted in false
positives in my bogofilter.

As I've recently received a spam forgery for blackstar.co.uk
(a British DVD
shop who have donated thousands of pounds to Perl development), I've
informed them of SPF as well. That's possibly the best way to get SPF
adoption: simply inform the owners of domain names who have
been forged.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Fate fell short this time, your smile fades
in the summer

To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,