Re: rejection at SMTP time?

2004-01-20 18:38:28

On Jan 20, 2004, at 8:34 PM, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:20:44PM -0500, George Schlossnagle wrote:
| >I think it's important to be FP friendly.
| >
| >If rejection happens at SMTP time the legitimate but misconfigured
| >sender gets a bounce with instructions.
|
| Doesn't this make it a vehicle for joe-jobs?  Most service providers
| are moving away from out-of-band DSNs for their expense and potential
| for abuse.  Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

If the border MTA performs spoof detection, it can return a reject code
at SMTP time.

Bounce generation is the responsibility of the upstream server.
An SPF MTA is not required to generate a bounce.

If the upstream server is the original sender domain, that server will
generate a bounce.

If the upstream server is a spammer, it will not generate a bounce.

Either way, we are absolved of responsibility.

OK, we're on the same page.

George