Re: Re: Changing the meaning of "mail from" is stillborn

2004-01-20 22:54:05
In <buk090$768$1(_at_)sea(_dot_)gmane(_dot_)org> Jim Ramsay
<i(_dot_)am(_at_)jimramsay(_dot_)com> writes:

Perhaps the ESMTP 'Mail-parameters' of RFC2821 are a better way to do
this than "source routing", since source routing will still mean
something to non-modern MTAs.

To combine both ideas, in a way:

MAIL FROM:<envelope-return AT example> RESSEN envelope-sender

if the SMTP server offers the RESSEN extension.

I like this idea, but I don't think we can assume that everyone will
upgrade their MTA.  This is a good optimization that could be done in
the future, however.

-wayne