Re: Using headers instead of SRS

2004-01-21 13:21:14
Julian Mehnle wrote:
Fourth, I think we do not have a "violate the 64 char localpart limit" problem.
If a forwarder chooses to actually forward to the original envelope sender any
> bounces/DSNs he receives, I think it would be a good solution to generate a
> lookup-able cookie as the localpart for the new envelope sender address.
> This localpart doesn't need to contain the original envelope sender *explicitly*
> encoded (like SRS suggests).

This encoding will hide the "sender" from the "recipient". SMTP level filtering based on the return path of the sender will be impossible.

I think it is detectable by the SMTP client that a long return path was accepted by the receiver MTA or not. After the rejection, a new MAIL command can be sended with a short return path.

What do You mean?

z2