Re: The case for XML

2004-01-22 01:56:47
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:27:58PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| The big deal with XML is that you can avoid the need to fork.

What need to fork?

| > > What if we want to go beyond that capability? For example:
| > >
| > >   * MTA Mark like description of IP address use
| > >   * Accreditation schemes
| > >   * Domain key type authentication
| >
| > I personally don't want to see *any* of those put into SPF.
| > Absolutely not.
|
| But they should be in the complete solution package. If you don't want to
| see them in SPF it is better to put them in a separate schema.

Which SPF already can defer to.  See the "exists" mechanism.

| > You are dangling a carrot out in front of people, hoping they will
| > follow a direction that they would not go on their own free will.  I
| > hope people will see clearly enough to realize that nothing is going
| > to be so simple that we can get anything like SPF widely deployed
| > within months.
|
| This would be so much easier if the people who want this issue could argue
| the case themselves.

Yes, it would be.  I won't follow a carrot.  But are there any more
genuine advantages?  I still think knowing exactly the agenda involved
here would help.  I do think it is IBM.  I haven't seen enough advantage
of XML for this to convince me, yet.  Sure, a lot of things like DNS
could very well be using XML in 20 years, at which time SPF would very
obviously transition with it.  But we'd have to know if that is part of
the agenda.  But even without knowing, I'd have to say that that is the
best way to make it work, as part of a wider scope of XMLization, not
as one small island of XML (in a sea of DNS and SMTP that is not doing it).

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |