Re: SPF for Sendmail - milter setup help

2004-01-25 16:17:24
Hello Scott,

I am currently in the process of writing a full INSTALL doc, along with m4
stuff. Give me a day or so, and I will finish it. One thing I can answer
immediately, though:

Also what directory do I put the milter in for sendmail to find it?

Sendmail does not need to "find" the spf-milter script. You can run it from
pretty much every location. The only thing sendmail needs to do, is to be
able to find the local domain socket to connect to (spf-milter creates
"/var/spf-milter/spf-milter.sock"). As long as sendmail.cf contains a line
like this, sendmail will be able to connect to the milter:

Xspf-milter, S=local:/var/spf-milter/spf-milter.sock, F=T

Perhaps in abundance, but sendmail does not itself start spf-milter (nor any
other milter, for that matter). Milters are daemonized programs onto
themselves, that run independently from sendmail; sendmail just connect to,
and communicates with them.

You may also want to apply the latest, attached, patch (against
sendmail-milter bundled with Mail::SPF::Query 1.99), which includes the
following updates:

* Per default, spf-milter now queries trusted-fowarder.org (on 'fail' only),
to check whether the trusted-fowarder domain yields a 'pass' after all. And
I added a new parameter, "dt" (disable trust), to override this default
behavior.

* In case of a valid MAIL FROM: <>, SPF::Query checks against the HELO
string, with 'postmaster' as localpart, but will leave an empty
$priv_data->{'from'} variable (which, for instance, shows up in
$header_comment as a double space after "domain of"). I compensated for
that.

* Our own hostname, extracted from the j macro, does not need to be grabbed
on each connection. It is now a global variable, set only once, and has been
taken out of the per-connection hash.

* Added a new abort_callback to deal with RSET properly.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,