Frozen, or just a bit slushy?

2004-01-28 03:16:27
OK, so when Meng decided the spec "wasn't all that frozen" I was annoyed.

A couple of hours' reflection have merely confirmed this response.

I spent most of last week writing documentation for what I believed to be a frozen protocol, and a fair whack of the rest of it selling SPF on the basis that "It's all nailed down".

Now I'm told "frozen doesn't actually mean finalized".

Meng, can you please clearly explain what frozen *does* mean, and under what circumstances (beyond 'Wayne told me to do it') changes will be made to the v1 spec?

Under what circumstances can we actually take a freeze at face value?

My take on this is that the "~all itch" was present before Meng declared the freeze and therefore it has no business being changed after the freeze. (As it happens I'm far from convinced by the reasoning for bringing this back, but that's not really the core issue here).

By doing so Meng re-opens debate on all the issues we thought we'd successfully put to bed.

Meng: For me to do any meaningful work on the documentation or tools I need clear answers to the above points; I would imagine that anyone else who thought they could now code to (or evangelise for) a finalised spec would appreciate the same.

        Thanks,
                Wechsler

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage