Re: Frozen, or just a bit slushy?

2004-01-28 05:21:20
In <40178BFB(_dot_)2010607(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> Wechsler
<wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> writes:

I spent most of last week writing documentation for what I believed to
be a frozen protocol, and a fair whack of the rest of it selling SPF
on the basis that "It's all nailed down".

A few of the people who have been implement the SPF spec have noticed
ambiguities and inconsistencies.  I'm working on the test.pl script
right now to try and make it easier to do regression tests for all
implementations.

If I recall correctly, you have written an implementation in PHP.  I
confess that I don't know PHP well enough, but would it be possible to
create a command line program that does the checking?  If so, would
you be willing to run the regression tests on your implementation?

Now I'm told "frozen doesn't actually mean finalized".

That's what I said.  My opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at
starbucks.

Under what circumstances can we actually take a freeze at face value?

My *guess* is when there are several compatible implementations that
have been working well enough to no longer be considered beta.  My
*guess* is that every day is going to make any change harder to
accept.  My *guess* is there is going to be a 2.9.6 spec.  I would
doubt that there will be a 2.9.8 spec.

-wayne

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage