Re: SPF Proxy

2004-01-28 15:12:57
Marc,

you forget about the disclaimers etc. for your service. If you take responsibility to accept mail for a 3rd party, you may want to have solid and clearly written agreements with that party... Or some sort of EULA.

Just my $0.02

/rolf

Marc Alaia wrote:

Everyone,

Since the checking of SPF records is significantly more involved than
publishing them, I have set up an SPF proxy server (with the assistance of
fellow list member Dan Boresjo) to assist those who would like to check
inbound SMTP.  You can find instructions at www.spfx.org, or below.

Using the proxy (Configuration steps):

1) Create a TXT record for your domain with the text: "v=rev-spf1 pmx=host:port mode=mode guess=guess-expr" where: host may be either the hostname or IP address of your MTA. port should be 25 unless you are certain that it should be otherwise mode may be either strict or loose. (Default is strict) In strict mode mail is rejected if an SPF check cannot reliably verify the sender. In loose mode mail is forwarded if SPF cannot reliably repudiate the sender. guess-expr an optional SPF expression to apply when an origin domain has published no SPF record.
2) Point your domain's MX record to "mx.spfx.org"

In order to avoid false rejections, I recommend starting with "mode=loose"
and "guess=+all".

If you have questions or comments, please let me know....

Marc Alaia

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage