RE: version strings

2004-01-28 18:55:00

I think this syntax is perfect.  As long as the spec states that the
version must come between the "v=" and whitespace, we
shouldn't have any
problems.  The + modifier to the end to indicate
experimental extensions
is adequate and concise.  The only alternative to "+" I
could think of
would perhaps be "x" or ".x".

Is this really that much of an issue that we need to bother?  As you
mentioned, look how far POP made it..  SPF1 isn't even final
yet, and as
such I can't see how there are any problems.  Once its locked
down that
should be it.

This is the version of the SPF *SYNTAX* it should only change on rare
occasions, if ever. MIME syntax has never changed and almost certainly never
will.

I think the probablility of going through more than 3 incompatible protocol
changes and still having the net follow us is negligible. So leave the
syntax as it is.

Just make sure it is documented as a syntax version, not anything else.

        Phill

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage