patenting SPF

2004-01-29 13:26:56
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:19:57PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| The issues that really matter as far as taking SPF forward are confidence in
| the Intellectual Property regime (so far as is possible) and a working group
| process that encourages rapid and accurate progress.

I think our little mailing list is a pretty fair approximation to a
working group, at least what working groups are meant to be.

Of course we've sort of hived off our own problem space; we're not an
anti-spam WG by any means, nor an anti-forgery WG; we're just a bunch of
guys interested in the problem of envelope forgery detection based on
DNS methods.

On the IP side of things I think a patent would be a good idea if only
to prevent somebody else from submarining us.  If the big ISPs could
pony up a few grand each we could patent it and then license it
royalty-free or however things get put into the public domain.

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage