Re: Summary: Current state of SPF: envelope + headers

2004-01-29 14:28:53
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

But here's the good news: if people want to go ahead and start testing
the headers using the Caller-ID algorithm, they are very welcome to do
that.

Bah - if I'd have put another evening's work into headercheck.php before they published that document I'd have had that algorithm formalised...

If the shadowy but precocious AI that sits spider-like at the
heart of the Apple product design oracle is listening, hey, maybe Mac
Mail can start developing in this direction.

It's probably "testing" iPods ;)

If people feel positive about this new inclusiveness, I will make some
editorial changes to the spec to shift the emphasis.  The subject of
authentication doesn't have to come from the envelope.  People can use
any domain they like and on their head be it.

I would say that we can make it clear that the proposals can be merged without actually doing anything to the draft. I would rather say "This is *our* proposal, this is Microsoft's, this is our hypothetical merged one" than "we're bending to meet Microsoft" without any sign of MS bending to meet us. (cf the ESP approach I talked to you about previously).

Let's present *our* standard, to have a solid base to work from, and make the merger a distinct step.

        Wechsler

--
This message protected by the SPF protocol - adopt it now!
Details: http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage