Re: Extensibility

2004-01-29 17:59:05
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:55:39PM -0600, wayne wrote:
| >  +domainkeys:_params accredit=class3.verisign.com
|
| And how are you proposing that all implementations of SPF know how to
| use this new mechanism "domainkeys"?  Why not just use a modifier that
| can be safely ignored?

He's not proposing that; he's proposing that in the future, if DK comes
out, sites that wish to support it can tell that a sender domain uses
it.

Sites that don't wish to support it will return an "unknown" and proceed
with spamfiltering.

| DomainKeys, the best that I can tell, is brain dead.  I don't want to
| see it anywhere near SPF.

Whether it's good or bad isn't the point; it's whether we can support
arbitrary future authentication mechanisms.

We have a clear language: some things will cause parsers to abort
unknown, other things will be ignored.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt