Re: OT: RE: NXDOMAIN

2004-02-03 19:06:09
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Marc Alaia wrote:

Does anybody know how to do this with MS Exchange?

I feel your pain. ;)

I cast about for spam-blocking software for Exchange 5.5 for a while.  My
eventual solution, where I work, was to install Exim on a Linux system and
configure it to relay mail to and from the Exchange system.  The Linux
system is our MX host.  This solution isn't for everyone, but the way I
see it it has these advantages:

- It's cheap.  The load on the server is not that great, so you may be
able to use obsolete equipment that's already on hand.
- It allows running just about any kind of filtering system.  (Exim is
easy to integrate with.  You could alternatively run sendmail or any
other MTA that can handle relaying to and from remote hosts.)
- The new MX relay can sit in the DMZ, so the Exchange system doesn't have
to be exposed to the Internet.
- If I have to take the Exchange system down for maintenence, mail
queues on the MX host instead of backing up at remote sites.

This is also a great place to run a caching DNS server -- mail hosts do a
lot of name server lookups, and caching locally makes that faster.

I realize this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I thought I'd
toss it out for you to consider.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt