Re: SPF extension

2004-02-04 16:57:14
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:22:37PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| 3) Use a modifier as follows
|
| domainsig=never    authentication extension is never used,
|        if you understand the extension reject messages carrying it
| domainsig=always   authentication extension is always used,
|        if you understand the extension reject messages not carrying it
| domainsig=request  authentication extension is used on request,
|        if you understand the extension and you request it,
|             reject messages not carrying it
| domainsig=some     authentication extension is sometimes used

But isn't that equivalent to the "unknown mechanism" approach?  Maybe I
misunderstood you when you brought this up before.

| OK so if you want to use IP authentication and the new scheme you would
| state:
|
| v=spf1 +mx domainsig=always -all
|       IE if you understand domainsig AND you support it you would reject
| email that failled either the mx or the domainsig test

I would propose

  v=spf1 mx domainsig -all

Clients that don't understand domainsig will abort "unknown"
Clients that do understand it will evaluate it and if it fails honour the
"-all".

| If you only want to use the new scheme:
|
| v=spf1 domainsig=always +all

I would propose

  v=spf1 domainsig -all

Clients that don't understand domainsig will abort "unknown".
Clients that do understand domainsig will evaluate it and if it fails honour
the "+all".

I know that allowing the use of unrecognized mechanisms irks some
people, but let's run through the use cases before we make a decision.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt