Re: cookie management during forwarding

2004-02-07 14:33:51
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:57:40AM -0600, mw-list-spf-discuss(_at_)csi(_dot_)hu
wrote:
| I just read the document on SRS.  I'd like to read about cookie management
| in case the "incoming forwarder" is different from the "outgoing forwarder".
|
| In our university, all departmental servers send outgoing mail through
| an outgoing server (OUT), but incoming mail goes to a different server
| (INC).  What I'd like to read about somewheree how the cookie
| generated on OUT gets communicated to INC.

As long as you can add a configuration thingy to both outgoing and
incoming that looks like

  srs_secret=q34yqgaer

SRS should work.

| We also have a further complication: most (but not all) incoming mail
| ends up in INC, and is not forwarded back to the departmental servers.
| What happens then, in case of a bounce, with the (departmental) part
| of the address that does not get decoded?

In case of a bounce INC handles the SRS'ed address, rewrites it, and
passes it to OUT for delivery.  Because the sender address is <> no
further SRS is needed.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the
departmental part of the address is not needed.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt