Re: Updates on SRS crypto

2004-02-11 19:34:06

On Feb 11, 2004, at 9:06 PM, Shevek wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

-- end stupid test --

So, if I run this on a development server here, I get:
; perl ./t.pl 10000 1000000
CPU seconds/message: 0.0004080458
2000000 messages/hour = 820.8 seconds!

Extrapolated, that means that 22% of all my time sending mail is spent
on the CPU doing SRS.

Having read the figures a few times, I'm assuming that the 22% above is a
typo made slightly funnier by context?

It wasn't a typo intentionally, but I am notoriously bad at arithmetic.

At 2x10^6 messages per hour (which is reasonable to achieve with a high performance MTA on good hardware), it comes out to 820 seconds.

There are 3600 seconds in an hour.  820/3600 is about .22 = 22%

Obviously 22% of our time isn't spent doing it... rather we need 22% more CPU seconds to accomplish the same task.

*grin*

Obviously an implementation aimed solely at performance could increase
this by a factor of 10 (probably).  But that is 2%, which is a damn

Ah, but we will have better performance in the C version!

A factor of 10 is a pretty legit speed up. I'd be surprised to see a speed-up of more than x100.

Like George mentioned earlier, we run MD5's on all MIME parts (fingerprints) of all message on-the-fly (to hand back 55x's in the SMTP session) when Anti-viral "mojo" is turned on and can still achieve over 1x10^6 messages/hour. MD5 is surprisingly cheap.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// Postal Engine -- http://www.postalengine.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on earth