name server oddities

2004-02-20 06:29:46
Since implementing SPF on our mail servers (Qmail with Christophe
Saout's patch) we have noticed a small problem with certain domain
names.

We have noted that some (albeit rare) domain names appear to be served
by DNS servers that instead of sending back a "No Answer" for a lack of
TXT records, they are actually timing out. Further investigation
(checking A / MX records etc) show that there is a "working" name server
serving out data for these domains that is perfectly capable of
returning answers to (A|MX etc) queries, however they just time out on a
TXT query.

Has anyone else seen / experienced this ?

Anyone got any ideas what kind of name server times out on a TXT query
instead of returning a "no answer".

Thanks,

Simon.