Re: MS will announce Caller-ID next Tuesday

2004-02-24 11:25:58
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:48:34AM -0600, wayne wrote:

| MicroSoft will announce Caller-ID next Tuesday.  See:
|
| http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114911,00.asp

Great, I've been waiting for MS and Y! to do this.  I had been hoping
this would happen because the sooner we get through shakeout, the better
for the anti-spam fight in general.

A lot of people have been waiting for MS and Y! to play their hand
before doing SPF.  People want to do an evaluation and until the
proposals are published they cannot do that.

Caller-ID, DK, and SPF are sister technologies: they are different but
ultimately fall into the same family of sender authentication.  Sibling
rivalry aside, SPF looks forward to watching them mature and follow us
up the learning curve.  Ultimately there is no way to get good data
other than by field-testing.  Each proposed standard reflects a
different set of design assumption, a different choice of tradeoffs.
Now we are ready to let the market decide.

Already we've seen thousands of domains publish SPF records, and a
majority of antispam vendors have gotten onboard and are doing SPF
tests.  That's a great start.  If C-ID and DK get the same kind of
response, we will be well on our way to solving the spam problem.