Re: SPF Server

2004-03-03 12:42:29
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 11:56, administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com wrote:
I am comtemplating writing an SPF Server program to offload some of the
functionality of SPF from the MTA. It would operate very much in the way
that a Black List server operates. Queries would be in the form:

   4.214.8.207.v2.listbox.com

It would maintain a dynamic cache with a fairly long TTL and respond to DNS
type queries with:

      SPFPass - No Record Found
      SPFFail - 127.0.0.2
      SPFNeutral - 127.0.0.4
      SPFSoftFail - 127.0.0.8
      SPFNone - 127.0.0.16
      SPFUnknown - 127.0.0.16
      SPFError - 127.0.0.32

The MTA would then react in whatever manner it would be configured to
respond. It is already partially developed.

This looks like it could come in handy for mailfarms.  You'd run this
locally, it would handle all the SPF traffic.  The return values being
IP addresses would seem to fit nicely into writing sendmail rules.

When this was originally posted, I didn't think the intent was to
provide a public SPF service, although I suppose it could be used for
that.  Making this software available to mailfarms who would run it
locally with older MTA versions that don't have support for running
local programs/scripts (ie, Milter) would speed SPF deployment.  It
might be helpful if sample configurations for various MTAs were provided
also.

--
Andy Bakun: pick it, pack it, fire it up
        <abakun(_at_)thwartedefforts(_dot_)org>