Re: Latest proposal re HELO checking: make HELO tests optional

2004-03-09 19:24:29
In
<Pine(_dot_)BSF(_dot_)4(_dot_)58(_dot_)0403091638350(_dot_)44858(_at_)gull(_dot_)us>
 David Brodbeck <gull(_at_)gull(_dot_)us> writes:

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, wayne wrote:

You appear to still be advocating using the MAIL FROM address to send
bounces to.  As a result, you are advocating abusing innocent third
parties.

Are you saying it's better to silently drop the mail?

I'm saying it is better to try and get SPF (or similar) widely adopted
so that there is no longer a reason to silently drop email.

If email I send is likely to go silently into the bit bucket, then email
is quickly going to become a useless toy for my purposes.

Yes, email is quickly becoming far less useful for many people.  Both
false positives and false negatives for spam are destroying it, along with
bogus bounces and silently dropped email.

-wayne