Re: Latest proposal re HELO checking: make HELO tests optional

2004-03-13 09:43:54
--On Donnerstag, März 11, 2004 20:42:54 -0500 Hector Santos <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> wrote:
[...]
Why is your RCPT TO response never coming back?   We have a 35 second time
out on that.  Could be set longer but you are the FIRST I've seen that
has a problem like this.

It is not my system, but you seem to be very impatient. ;-)

RFC2821 states with regard to timeouts:
  RCPT Command: 5 minutes
     A longer timeout is required if processing of mailing lists and
     aliases is not deferred until after the message was accepted.

BTW: I do not like that kind of behaviour by a receiving mail system. If
you want to send a bounce, ok, just send it. But probing for addresses
will get you a permanent IP-address block on our firewall as sson as I
notice it in the logfiles. I regard it as a preliminary action to a spam
run or (d)DOS attack.

Ralf