Comparing SPF filtering results to blacklist results

2004-03-16 13:39:48
[ This question was already posted by me over on spf-help, but Marc Alaia
suggested that this would be a better venue. ]

I just got SPF going on my secondary external MX servers, and
am about to implement it on my primary using Fedora Core 1 Linux, the
sendmail built into it, and our faithful authors of the perl modules
and widgets over at http://www.city-fan.org.

In particular, I installed this to block the spam and viruses forged
with my domain's own address in the From: line to sneak past mail
filters: people have been asking for that a lot, and not being
comfortable writing raw procmail or sendmail.cf I didn't trust a
homebrew recipe to catch it correctly.

I'll write up my installation notes soon, but my first glances at the
resulting mail logs show that my already-in-place DNS blacklists are
tagging all my test spams from other addresses before SPF gets at
it. Is anyone gathering stats on what is caught by SPF and what gets
caught by other techniques?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia
    System and Networks Administrator
    Mitsubishi Electric Research Lab