Re: another problem with crypto

2004-03-18 20:25:48
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

good article by Jon udell at
 http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/12/11OPstrategic_1.html

 Consider S/MIME digital signatures. It's very likely that your e-mail
 client supports them.

But it's also very likely that someone's antivirus mail relay will
reject all mail with a .p7s signature attachment.

Maybe that's why eBay and Paypal aren't signing all their outbound mail.
Worse than the Antivirus relays that squish .p7s signature attachments are the mail systems that have broken MIME handling (*cough* older versions of Exchange *cough*). Your message can end up encapsulated 7-levels deep.

Or, you have some sites that won't open the signed emails "because they have an attachement". On place I was doing business with online had this policy. Their support personnel wouldn't read my emails unless they were unsigned. I stopped doing business with them.

-tom