RE: more on Multiple classes of mail

2004-04-07 16:28:31
From: Meng Weng Wong
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 5:54 PM

<...>

Instead, perhaps we can borrow another concept from the postal service:
different classes of mail.  ...

This is rational, given there is no easy way validate the RFC2822 originator
addresses.  However, I believe there are several ways to do this, and I
posted one such method on the list the other day.  If you are uncomfortable
with "yet another validation scheme", those "SES0" addresses can _all_ be
changed into SRS0 format addresses so it is completely in accordance with
your existing plans.  Given the fact that we _can_ unambiguously validate
each address, including the local part, without any additional DSN info,
maybe you would comment on why there is a need for multiple mail classes?

The method I gave, and others similar to it, can detect forgeries of each of
the critical addresses.  If anything is forged, the mail is rejected and a
DSN goes back to the sender.  Isn't that simpler than multiple mail classes?

<...>

IF: 2822 "From" == 2822 "Sender" == 2821 return-path
 && (SPF || Caller-ID) pass