Re: SPF and HELO

2004-04-23 06:16:13
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 16:12, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
2525 were rejected because of HELO failing the SPF check.  Of these,
2419 used a HELO with my own domain, and 106 used a HELO with other
domains.  (So just rejecting your own domains from external servers
gets most of the benefit - but SPF generalizes the check and eliminates a
configuration item.)

For example, although HELO <mailserver domain> is a damn good indicator
of bad stuff, its also used by some MUAs - in particular
Mozilla/Thunderbird.  Obviously you would use authenticated SMTP (maybe
MSA) for a remote client talking to your mail server, and the rules for
an authenticated client should be rather different....

We have been sending mail from remote locations via VPN - so it shows up
as an "INTERNAL" server.  However, I just got SMTP AUTH configured last
night, and will be adding support for that in the milter.  I believe all
I have to do is flag the connection as "INTERNAL" when it is authenticated.