IRC channel announced, vague strategy plan, organizational issues

2004-04-24 11:02:42
The SPF movement is picking up steam.

13,000 domains have registered.

We appear in the media fairly regularly.

Many independent implementations have been written.  Antispam/antivirus
companies are rolling out SPF support in their software.

Large corporations and service providers are paying attention to SPF.
Some are beginning to test SPF checking on the receiving end.

That means that we're becoming "real"!

And, being "real", we're now at the point where we can benefit from a
little more structure.  While it's been a thrill leading this community,
there is only so much I can do, and I want to share the fun.  I guess
what I really mean is "come, everyone, help me whitewash this here fence."

(Specifically, I want to be able to say, "okay, $random_journalist, I
know you have a deadline, but I have a date.  Here are some people who
would love to give you an interview.")

I will prepare some slides so other people can give the "Introduction to
SPF" presentations to their communities, companies, user groups, etc.

I also want to formally recognize the contributions of the people in
this community (you know who you are) by drawing a rough organizational
chart that will go on the Wiki.  This will help us focus our energies
more effectively: it lets us say "okay, the best person to talk to about
X subject is Y."  I will post more as this evolves.

Changing the world is more work than I had guessed.  Just when I was
thinking I couldn't do it alone, I remembered that there was already a
great bunch of folks willing to help make it happen, and they were just
an email away.

I'd like to make some of them be just an IRC channel away.  If IRC is
your thing, please join irc.pobox.com #spf where we can talk in
realtime.

cheers
meng

P.S. SPF's success is due in part to the fact that we've been following
the blueprint provided by Geoffrey Moore.  If you are interested in the
management and strategy of SPF, I strongly, strongly recommend that you
buy these books:

They will provide a common vocabulary for what we're doing.  If
anyone here has an entrepreneurial bent, you'll get much more out of
watching SPF if you have the Chasm framework in mind.