Re: HELO vs. envelope checks

2004-05-06 11:27:46
On Thu, 6 May 2004, Dustin D. Trammell wrote:

There were originally a few mechanisms being discussed for such a
purpose, but I believe they've been removed from the spec (for now).
The mechanisms were 'pgp', 'smime', and 'dk', for PGP, S/MIME, and
DomainKeys (respectively).  Using these mechanisms (and assuming that
the receiving implementations know what to do with them, your record
would be something like one of these:

cam.ac.uk     IN      TXT     v=spf1 pgp -all
cam.ac.uk     IN      TXT     v=spf1 smime -all
cam.ac.uk     IN      TXT     v=spf1 dk -all

The "ses" mechanism we were talking about recently would fit into this
scheme nicely.

The aim of my post was to point out that SPF should have a way of
specifying different policies for HELO and MAIL FROM. Another example,
for those who believe in the MARID way:

(HELO) No machines may legitimately say HELO cam.ac.uk.

(ENV) All email from an @cam.ac.uk address comes from a ppsw.cam.ac.uk
machine. (That name has multiple IP addresses.)

Though I suppose it's OK for my SPF record to say that a ppsw machine may
say HELO cam.ac.uk if they are under my control and never actually use
that permission. However I like my configurations to say what I mean them
to :-)

--
Tony Finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/