Re: update from MARID meeting

2004-05-20 10:43:54
"Meng Weng Wong" <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:23:33AM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
| Many slashdotters felt that authenticating the return path was "useless"
| because the end user never/rarely sees it.  The website should address
| why return path authentication is important - without diminishing the
| importance of authentication at other levels.

Wayne, Greg, Mark, and I are at the MARID working group interim
meeting.  Also present are Harry Katz and Jim Lyon from Microsoft
representing Caller-ID.  We have agreed to converge the two proposals
that take the best of each.

The New SPF --- the result of that convergence --- will address 2822
authentication.  That should make the Slashdotters happy.  The New SPF
will do both the things at the top of
http://spf.pobox.com/slides/ispcon-dc/3032.html

Just to be sure I get this straight, is this a change from the way of doing
things proposed by the MARID chairs on April 29th?
| it is best
| that this working group first concentrate on creating a DNS RR
| addressing the 2821 identities and then proceed to consideration of
| 2822 identities.

I'm personally convinced that doing 2822 authentification is necessary, but
I'm wondering if the MARID group will wait until a RFC for 2822 auth is
finished before releasing a RFC for 2821 auth.

Cheers,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr