SPF Status unknown error on lookup

2004-05-24 16:18:05
Dear spf-discuss,

I've published my record and am also looking forward to using spf to stop forgeries being sent to my domain. Instead of failing the mail for domains with TXT records, I'm getting lookup errors. spf has also been adding headers inconsistently. Some messages have an SPF header some don't.

I'm running sendmail 8.12.11 with check_local and the greylist milter and sendmail-milter-spf-1.41.pl with Mail-SPF-Query-1.997.

When trying the test address provided in the install notes for the perl SPF milter for sendmail
I get the added header
Received-SPF: unknown (mailgate: error in processing during lookup of mengwong(_at_)vw(_dot_)mailzone(_dot_)com)

Sometimes this is on the first messages, sometimes I have to send a second message to get the header added.

That header message is being logged a lot to sendmail's log file as well.
I've only seen two messages:
May 24 15:35:34 mailgate sendmail[2469]: [ID 801593 mail.info] i4OMZXsN002469: Milter add: header: Received-SPF: pass (mailgate.probes.com: 10.x.x.x is authenticated by a trusted mechanism)
(from the white list)
and
May 24 15:41:49 mailgate sendmail[2596]: [ID 801593 mail.info] i4OMfnln002596: Milter add: header: Received-SPF: unknown (mailgate: error in processing during lookup of user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com)
(headers are added in each case)

Lookup by hand on the mail gateway is returning txt records properly.
Of the two milters running, spf comes first, then greylist.

The system is running solaris 8, and most of the perl modules for required by this install are newly downloaded and installed. (net::dns .047)

Is this really a lookup error?
Is it trying to lookup the user(_at_)domain(_dot_)com instead of just
domain.com?
Any ideas about why the header is not always present for messages with the same sender, sending ip and recipient?

Thanks,

Jeff