Re: XML unification proposal

2004-05-31 19:32:19
Michel Py wrote:

Tim Meadowcroft wrote:
v=spf2 xml=http://www.schmerg.com/spf.xml mx -all This way you get the best of both worlds -
let the 'market(s)' decide how much they want XML...

This is the best suggestion I have heard so far.
I concur! If given the ability to choose between 2821 verification (SPF) and 2822 verification (XML) [did I get that right?], I would be able in good conscience to continue using SPF (as I do now--I hope soon to change ?all to -all ...). If forced to use XML, I will definitely abandon SPF. If allowed not to use XML, I will continue using SPF!

It does require developing two standards (spf2 and XML) but having both
of them available is the only way to let the market decide which one it
will adopt.
Brilliant idea!

This scheme answers the big question: will the flexibility of XML be
required or not in the future. If no, people will likely stick with
spf2. If yes, they will naturally move to XML. And it is a reasonable
compromise for the large majority that does not want to see XML in SPF
records.
As I said once before, I am a big fan of XML--but only where it makes sense. I see no reason whatsoever to use XML in DNS records!