Re: RCPT TO: rejecting (OT)

2004-06-01 07:18:31
David Brodbeck wrote:
On Sun, 30 May 2004, Greg Connor wrote:

Seriously, accept-then-bounce is quickly falling out of favor and can
already get you blocked some places.  At least you know what you have to
fix next... make it so all your MX servers know the valid *destination*
addresses so that they won't accept mail that can never be delivered.

I would really like to do this, but I'm not sure how to get it to work in
my situation.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Our MX host
is a Linux system running Exim.  It accepts incoming mail and then sends
it on to Exchange 5.5.  You see the problem -- Exim has no ready way of
knowing what is or isn't a valid address when it accepts the mail.

Please don't suggest "get rid of Exchange" because it's not going to
happen.  We rely too heavily on the calendar and free/busy scheduling
features.  Likewise, getting rid of Exim and exposing Exchange directly to
the Internet is likely to cause far more problems than it solves.

Option 1:
Live forward. Attempt delivery to the Exchange server before reporting
acceptance back to the originating server.

Option 2:
Use a directory service. Validate the recipient address through
your internal directory service before accepting it in Exim.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/