RE: first draft, proposed agenda for SPF/ID BOF today at Inbox Event

2004-06-04 20:22:49
wayne wrote:
I think Meng is right, there really is a
three-way chicken-and-egg problem.

I agree, but this problem is only in people's minds. This can be
changed.

However, I suspect that we won't need to use a flag-day or
deadline to create the forcing function. I think there will
be enough domain owners that are willing to publish using
-all and enough receivers that are willing to reject on -all
that mail forwarders will be squeezed from the middle.

I disagree, but it's besides the point. The issue here is not who's
right and who's wrong, it's about risk management. It's about odds.
Let's say the odds (which nobody knows) are that there are 60% chances
that you are right and 40% chances that I am. Are you willing to risk
the future of SPF on 60/40 odds? Not me. Not if it was 30/70 on my side
either.

Unless you can convince me that the odds are 90/10, this is too big a
risk to take and we will go for a flag day or something close to it.
Strategy planning is not about guessing which plan is the best, it's all
about lowering the odds. Tactical decision can be riskier, and one can
risk losing one battle by betting on the plan percept to be the best,
but you don't play the outcome of the entire war on one roll of the
dice.

Michel.