RE: Why SUBMITTER as parameter and not as seperate command in ESMTP?

2004-06-05 12:24:18
Teddy, FYI, your message to the list had the following in its headers:

Received-SPF: fail (mail.teddy.ch: domain of teddy(_at_)teddy(_dot_)ch does not
designate 62.167.122.90 as permitted sender) receiver=mail.teddy.ch;
client_ip=62.167.122.90; envelope-from=teddy(_at_)teddy(_dot_)ch;

Teddy wrote:
Why do you want to add a paramater SUBMITTER to the MAIL FROM command
instead of adding a new command SUBMITTER to the ESMTP protocol? So we
can check if a server understands SUBMITTER at the EHLO command.

This is only because some MTAs that are not patched have problems with
SUBMITTER in the MAIL FROM command.

I personally think that a LOT more analysis on whether it should be a MAIL FROM
parameter OR a separate command should be done. Simply announcing it as a
parameter without examining impact on existing systems is a bad idea. It may
have fewer adverse affects on SMTP sanitizers, and be easier to implement on
MTAs, as a command.

Michael R. Brumm