Re: SPF: Not just a clever idea

2004-06-07 04:27:09
Greg Connor in <12570184(_dot_)1086570421(_at_)[10(_dot_)12(_dot_)1(_dot_)26]>:

Despite some negative comments about the technical details of the merger, I
have to say that overall I am quite pleased with the new direction

I liked spf when it was slight and had a clear focus. I'm
concerned that the so-called merger is turning it into a grossly
misshapen hulk.

Still, we are not the only fish in the sea, and MS Caller ID is not a
slouch of a proposal either.

Cid is completely useless to me. If a rogue message gets as far
as DATA on my mx, it's already too late because it's consumed my
bandwith. Also, I don't need bloated technology to tell me
whether rfc2822 headers are forged.

If there were no convergence, or if the deal
is scuttled for whatever reason, SPF Classic can continue to go its way

Hopefully, spf will revert to its original concept. If it
doesn't, so be it. I'll shrug and move on.

In exchange for gaining a powerful ally, the New SPF shifts its attention
to 2822 headers instead of 2821 MAIL FROM.

Effectively making it useless for my purposes.

An agreement with MS allows us to present a
consistent story to MARID, which I think is crucial to getting an RFC
drafted and approved.

I suspect the opposite to be the case but let's see what the
ietf's dns experts think about the wisdom of publishing xml in
dns. My instinctive judgement is that it's a bad idea but I'm
happy to be corrected by somone like Paul Vixie.

I hope that the SPF
support community will pull together under the common banner, which is
still "Stop email forgery".

A more accurate slogan might be "Waste your bandwith trying to
prevent email forgery."

My concerns are to prevent my domain being abused in the reverse
path of junk mail and to assist other Internet hosts in
preventing their domains being abused in similar fashion. That's
the only reason I'm here. If spf loses that primary focus, as
appears to be the case, there's no point in sticking around.