RE: reputation systems and RHSBLs

2004-06-12 12:58:07
Meng Weng Wong wrote:
Should we start such a reputation system ourselves?
If so, could we propagate it through cutting-edge
peer-to-peer anonymizing network systems?

Setting aside the throw-away domains issue that will exist with every
reputation system, is see major road-block with this: there is little
you can do to prevent spammers from stuffing the ballot box (detail
follows).

Long version: there needs to be an API to allow software developers to
incorporate reporting the spam-to-good ratio and/or numbers to peers
into their MTA software.

How do you prevent spammers from participating in the peer network and
reporting large numbers of invented good emails for their domains? If
the system is to be entirely automatic (meaning: no human review) this
could prove extremely challenging. Keeping the API secret and reserved
to a small number of trusted peers would cancel the anonymity and
protection from lawsuits benefit.

My $0.02 (plus CA tax)

Michel.