Re: Large address scope problem

2004-06-14 12:16:37
On Jun 14, 2004, at 6:36 AM, Gary Levell wrote:

I'm sure that there has already been discussion of this topic, but I'm
worried about the ability of domain owners to create records that are in
the simple case

        "v=spf1 +all"

I don't see the problem. If someone publishes that for a domain, say, sillydom.example, then I have no choice but to assume that that is what they mean. And so if I get a lot of spam with sillydom.example 821 Froms, then I may simply blacklist sillydom.example. Of course, to be polite, I would probably write to them asking if they really understand what they've published.

Remember, an SPF "pass" does not mean that the mail isn't spam. It merely means that the owner of the domain considers the particular IP authorized to send mail in their name. Indeed, I've noticed that some non-forging opt-out spammers are publishing legit SPF records, presumably in the hopes that an SPF pass will reduce the spam scoring of their messages. rm04.net appears to be an example.

PS and OT:
Regarding your disclaimer (and the fact that you seem to be in the email disclaimer business) I would like to shamelessly draw your attention to

  http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

Cheers,

-j