Re: SPF Headers

2004-06-16 02:22:52
Nigel wrote:
I've just started using spf with sendmail. Do these headers look right? if not what should I check.

outbound emails:-
Received-SPF: none (master.kilner-vacuum-lifting.com: domain of nigel(_at_)kilner-vacuum-lifting(_dot_)com does not designate permitted sender hosts)

inbound emails:-
Received-SPF: pass (master.kilner-vacuum-lifting.com: localhost is always allowed.)

On which DNS server have you set up the SPF record for kilner-vacuum-lifting.com? Neither ns0.clara.net nor ns1.clara.net (the authoritative naemservers for the kilner-vacuum-lifting.com domain) has it, so nobody else can see it either.

Also, since your incoming mail is going through Claranet's mail servers, you're not going to be able to reject mail that fails SPF tests (though you could still filter it using something like SpamAssassin). You need to be running the SPF checks on the MX hosts for the domain to achieve that. The SPF milter isn't doing anything for you with the current arrangement - you would need to be running your own incoming mail server for this to be useful.

Paul.