Re: Re: the "implicit MX" rule

2004-06-20 09:42:19
On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 06:33:19PM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:

| But it affects millions of small Web domains where
| users have no clear idea how their mail works, and
| your rule requires MUAs or MSAs to fix the MAIL FROM
| for these users.  An old MUA with an old smart host
| could try to use MAIL FROM:<user(_at_)web(_dot_)domain(_dot_)example>
| resulting in a FAIL.

This is all part of cost-shifting from receivers to
senders.  Email is not as cheap as people think: the
enormous costs borne by receivers in doing antispam
filtering proves it.  If the overall cost of the system
can be reduced by requiring senders to be less clueless,
then we have a strong economic argument that old MUAs
and old smart hosts will just have to upgrade.