the "implicit MX" rule

2004-06-20 09:07:44
the implicit MX rule says: if a given domain name has no MX
records, but you need to send mail to it, you can substitute
its A record.

This rule bugs me, because it means that spammers can forge
MAIL FROM:<workstation.example.com> and I have to put an SPF
record on workstation.example.com to foil that.  I shouldn't
have to.

I propose this rule:

1) given a return-path, if the domain has an MX record, do
   an SPF lookup on the domain.  This is the normal case and
   the behaviour defined in the SPF draft.

2) if the domain does NOT have an MX record,
   but it does have an A record,
   and if the domain does not have an SPF record,
   then assume the default SPF record "v=spf1 a -all".

meng