Re: making the policy decision: leveraging HTTPS

2004-06-20 10:57:05
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

If an HTTPS connection succeeds, and the certificate for
DOMAIN is valid, that makes it somewhat more likely that
the sender is a good guy.

For me HTTPS is a make money fast multilevel marketing scheme
controlled by Verisign and others.  It offers secure HTTP
connections, that's really nice, but I haven't used it yet
as some kind of "reputation".  Who are all those root CAs,
and what's their business model in selling certificates ?

I have no idea, but I don't see why certificates should be
very different from say public whois data.  Therefore I'd
prefer *.whois.rfc-ignorant.org as source of "reputation".

                   Bye, Frank