Re: a grand unified theory of MARID (blame me!)

2004-06-21 11:10:15
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Matthew Elvey wrote:
The "unification theory" is about using the same tool set to check
many different identities.  It's not about checking HELO and that's it.

Right.

If you are only checking HELO, what would you propose...

I'm only checking HELO?   I didn't say that.   I'm saying we do things
the 'Unified SPF' way.

OK I'm sorry I misunderstood you.  I think we are actually even closer in our
views than I had thought, which is very good.

I was getting confused because you said "This will be much easier to deploy"
or something to that effect... which reminded me why I *didn't* like Dave's
original CSV proposal.  It is a lot easier to deploy because it protects very
little, in my opinion. :)

Put another way, if the reputation is snow-white, or you trust the
sender, go directly to accept.  If the reputation is black or the
thing is clearly forged, go directly to reject.  If it's in the wide
gray area in between, keep going and check the next identity...  am I
right?

Yes, that's right.  See the slide from the slideshow in my post to Simon.

Excellent.  All is well :)  Now the trick will be to write this up as Yet
Another Draft.

--
Greg Connor
gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org

Everyone says that having power is a great responsibility.  This is a lot
of bunk.  Responsibility is when someone can blame you if something goes
wrong.  When you have power you are surrounded by people whose job it is
to take the blame for your mistakes.  If they're smart, that is.
                -- Cerebus, "On Governing"