Re: a grand unified theory of MARID (blame me!)

2004-06-21 19:23:52
Matthew Elvey said:
On 6/21/04 6:11 AM, spf(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com sent forth electrons to
convey:
I'm still uncertain.  Are you saying that an advantage of your plan is
that
I'm going to get blacklisted if someone forges my domain name (as they do
on
a daily basis now) if I don't get them blacklisted?

I don't think so.  Let's see how this would work.  If you either don't
try to, or try but fail to get the forger of your domain blacklisted or
shut down, it won't reflect poorly on your domain; it'll reflect poorly
on the domain that is allowing the forgery.   It'll be
SpammerFriendlyISPWithAnUnresponsiveAbuseDeskAndAnSPFRecord.dom, so it
won't be your domain.  So you're not being coerced to get the forger of
your domain blacklisted, or get the
SpammerFriendlyISPWithAnUnresponsiveAbuseDeskAndAnSPFRecord to take
action.  Plus if you take no action, and the forgery is from a spammer,
it'll get taken care of anyway - other actors will cause the forger of
your domain to be blacklisted, or get the
SpammerFriendlyISPWithAnUnresponsiveAbuseDeskAndAnSPFRecord to take
action.

OK.  I believe you.  I still don't get that from the words you wrote.  I
think the key point of confusion for me was in the sentence, "you're gonna
be motivated to do some work to get the spammer's domain blacklisted, for
example by putting him in your RHSDRBL."  The way I took this was that the
antecedent of you and your was the victim domain owner.  I gather from
this exchange that you meant that to be the recepient and detector of the
forgery.  I'd recommend that next time you reword that sentence to make it
crystal clear who you think is going to be motivated to get the forger
into the RBL.

Thanks,

Scott K