Re: Last Tweak for the Aggressive Spam Hater

2004-06-29 23:27:28
Thanks for the report... yours is a really interesting test case.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, David Lawless wrote:
I could care
less about getting e-mail from people using forwarding
services.  If they're someone I know, I'll whitelist them.

Some more info regarding forwarding services: you really only need to
whitelist them if they are forwarding for the receiver (i.e. you).  I assume
if you had any other addresses out there that accept mail and then forward it
to you, you would know about it, since they're acting on your behalf.  I'm
willing to bet you have none.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that.  There's a lot of noise being made
about "SPF breaks forwarding" but this really only applies if you have a lot
of users and you don't know what forwarding arrangements they have set up. (A
forwarder acting on behalf of the receiver will not fit in to the sender's SPF
record because they have no idea, so you get false positives)

Probably the only scenario you will see is users who are mobile.  Maybe you
will find some big companies that have outgoing mailers and incoming MX in a
different /24 and are also using a different name for their PTR but that seems
pretty unlikely ;)  I bet people on this list would be interested in any
domains that you have to whitelist or override their "best guess" record.

OK good luck!
gregc

--
Greg Connor
gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org

Everyone says that having power is a great responsibility.  This is a lot
of bunk.  Responsibility is when someone can blame you if something goes
wrong.  When you have power you are surrounded by people whose job it is
to take the blame for your mistakes.  If they're smart, that is.
                -- Cerebus, "On Governing"