Re: Administrative Denial - working as desgned

2004-07-01 07:27:00
On Thursday 01 July 2004 14:25, Hibbs, Phil wrote:
PaulHowarth:
"Administrative Prohibition" perhaps?

Sounds plausable. The number 550 seems familiar.

Did you have mail set up for direct to MX mailing, or were you using the
broadband provider's smarthost?

The email client setup hadn't changed, it was still sending to the original
SMTP server that they had used through Freeserve.

Working as designed I think.
I've just swapped from Freeserve to anotehr ISP, and carelessly left the SMTP
host on smtp.freeserve.co.uk as it had been before until after postfix had
tried to send a mail.

One would not expect Freeserve's mailserer to relay mail that came through BT
or Eclipse or other providers.

In the other direction of migration, as mentioned a moment ago, Freeserve
transparently proxies(? captures anyway) port 25 so that one might have the
SMTP relay set to afaroff.host.com and think it was working.

I have seen confusion over whether a random othr domain has an open relay on
port 25 arise when one tries to check it thorough access via Freeserve, as
the port 25 affects Telnet etc etc.

--
Adrian Midgley                   (Linux desktop)
GP, Exeter